to generate over $3,000/month
in less than 10 months!
March will go down as one of the busiest and most exciting months of my life! With the birth of my first child (baby boy) at the start of march and my day job requiring up to 90hr weeks it was crazy. Luckily I was able to cut back on my hrs at work when my son came to spend time helping out at home.
Because of the amount of time I had to put into other parts of my life I only managed to put in about 10hrs total into my online efforts.
This month has reinforced one of the main things I love about making money with websites – COMPLETELY PASSIVE INCOME!
I put in so little work this month but the systems and people I worked hard to put in place came through and delivered some impressive results.
100% Passive Income – It is an amazing feeling not checking your stats for one week and then when you login you see that you have made hundreds of dollars and done no work. By setting up the right systems and outsourcing a lot of activities I have managed to keep my business running even when I am not able to contribute to my sites.
Outsourced a Custom Plugin That Increased My Conversions by 50% – You Can Download It For Free Here – This is something I started before the crazy busy period at work kicked off and as a result of a great programmer I hired through ODesk we were able to get this plugin created and live on wordpress.org
The plugin (CTR Widget)
– Read about how I created it for $150 with no programming skills here
– Download it and see your click through rate on your call to action increase overnight – try it out here
Productivity – I need to figure out how to be more productive with the changes in my life. I used to work in 3 or 4 dedicated 4-12hr blocks and that was enough to grow my business. However, now that my baby boy has arrived that isn’t possible. So even though I am not always “busy” I find it hard to be productive and catch myself watching a lot more TV while waiting for his next need.
This month I hope to set up a routine and modify my online business to suit my life my thoughts on what I can do to improve are…
- Write more posts on my IPhone or IPad while waiting on him
- Put my documents in the cloud – I have a dedicated work desktop where I used to run my business from but now I need to be more flexible and do more from any device
- Have an ongoing next action list so I don’t spend 15 minutes figuring out what I should be working on – I typically at the start of a work session lay out all the tasks I want to complete and then chop them off one by one but that only works when I have a block of time
If anyone has any productivity tips for new parents I would really like to hear about them!
Authority Website Stats for March
Income = $759.63
A great month for monetization! With the January student loan rush this is to be expected!
My main affiliate offer continues to get tested and I have branched out and started writing program specific review posts which have yet to result in any significant affiliate commissions.
CPA Offer #1 = $333 (+$99)
This is not my main affiliate offer but there are still links on the site which drive around 10-15 clicks per day. The conversions are great and the analytics for this offer are also excellent!
CPA Offer #2 = $426.63
This is a drop from last month but I don’t want to get too worried about it, I only get paid when a loan is funded and because of the relatively small number of funded loans to generate the above income the statistical variance month over month will not be significant.
The leading indicator I should pay attention to is the number of people sent from my site to the affiliate site and the number of people that I sent who initiated the loan process. This is what I can control (number of leads and quality of leads) the other steps between an active lead and a funded loan I do not have control over so don’t stress about it.
Due to my new plugin I had a 50% increase from February to March with similar traffic.
– February = 54 Leads
– March = 98 Leads
Costs = 52.16
Again the majority of my costs associated with my website is content creation using my method I talk about here.
The VA’s do a lot of things for me such as research post material, identify potential guest posting opportunities, publish content, modify graphics, upload and syndicate videos I make and other assignments as they come up.
All my team members are hired through ODesk
- VA #1 – Content Publisher = $15 @ (posting/scheduling of created articles per my content calendar)
- VA # 2 – Backlink/General = $25 (web 2.0 creation, Link Authority, blog carnival submission, Friday post creation)
- VA #3 – Website Manager = $0 (he takes care of security/speed on all my sites – no work this month)
- VA #2 – Social Media Manager = $5 (I need to get her working again!)
- Content Creation (0 articles this month!) = $0.00
- Hosting = $7.16 @ HostGator
Running Net Income/Loss
Another profitable month, the site is continuing to show it’s a healthy site!
Traffic =5,652 (+29%) Unique Visitors
A very good month with steady traffic, I would like to see some of my posts going a little more viral and having the occasional traffic spike. The steady traffic is great but I don’t see me being able to grow the site substantially without making the occasional splash. I will have to both improve the content and improve how I promote the content in the future to get that kind of response.
Email Opt Ins – Still a failure!
Total sign up = 13! (2 in the month of February with 5k+ visitors!)
Even though I no longer focus on sign up I will keep reporting this to show full transparency of both my successes and failures.
Content, Promotion and Backlinks
In this section I will show exactly what I have done over the last month to get to 300 visitors a day.
On Page Content = 16 Posts
I find a lot of joy in this! – There is something amazing about setting up a system and watching it work. There is no doubt that I am a systemization/outsourcing geek but this is just cool – 0 work done this month on content and 16 quality posts were published!
Outreach – Blog Commenting & Social Media (2hrs only)
Unfortunately my outsourcing efforts on this front fell a little flat with the VA I was using for this not working and me not able to pick up the slack due to my schedule. I will need to address this ASAP.
Guest Posts = 6 Posts on Quality Sites
Guest posting continues to be where I personally spend the majority of my effort by reaching out to the blog owners and writing the articles myself. However, I did not put any time into it this month but still had a couple posts I had initiated a while back trickle in.
- GP 1 – March 15 – PR4 – Alexa 39.4k
- GP2 – March 23– PR2 – Alexa 123k
All of these guest posts were achieved using the method I talk about here.
I use majestic SEO (free) to track my link profile and help estimate how my link building efforts are being viewed by Google.
- Referring Domains = 145 (+12)
- Backlinks = 6203 (+1,284)
- Citation Flow 36 (no change)
- Trust Flow 19 (-1)
I am not sure why so many backlinks got generated, there was nothing I was doing that would have generated this many links. They seem to be of low quality since my trust flow dropped and they also seem to be from very few linking root domains since it only increased by 12. For now I am not going to worry about it but I will keep an eye on the backlink profile and try to also increase the trust flow by doing some more guest posts and outreach to .edu domains.
Image From – MajesticSEO.com
Last Month’s Goals
- Continue Guest Posting – (guest post on 0 high quality sites) – ACHIEVED 2
- Continue Content Creation at 10 posts/month – FAILED 0 ARTICLES CREATED
- Publish Posts per Editorial Calendar – 16 posts – ACHIEVED PERFECTLY!
- Continue Blog Commenting and Social Media Manager & monitor progress – 200 visitors – FAILED NO NOTICABLE TRAFFIC
- Monetize – Earn over $1000 on almost complete Autopilot! – FAILED $759 – still happy with this passive income!
Next Month’s Goals
- Restart Guest Posting – (guest post on 5 high quality sites)
- Outreach Effort – 1 Epic Post That Generates High Quality Backlinks and a Traffic Spike
- Continue Content Creation at 16 posts/month
- Monetize –Earn over $1,000 per month
2013 Website Goal Progress:
My website case study PayMyStudentLoans.com will earn more per month than Pat Flynn’s case study site SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com for at least 3 months of the year
- So far in 2013 I am 0 for 3
- January (-$2,796.18)
- $452.13 for PayMyStudentLoans.com
- $3248.31 for SecurityGuardHQ.com – Report
- February (-$1,675.35)
- $1126.55 for PayMyStudentLoans.com
- $2,801.90 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- March (-$2,076.94)
- 759.63 for PayMyStudentLoans.com
- $2,836.57 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report