to generate over $3,000/month
in less than 10 months!
Month 9 has seen a huge jump in income and my goal of making more than Pat Flynn’s security guard site came very close!!! But the best event of the month was me finally being able to get my email opt ins to work!! This took 9 months but I am now able to get around 10 opt ins per day (compared to 17 for 8 months).
I am very happy to announce that I have started creating my next larger niche “Authority” site about the Canadian Insurance industry http://ourinsurancecanada.com/.
Several of the links below that link to the tools I have used over the last month are affiliate links. If you are just starting you don’t “need” any of them (except hosting and maybe ODesk)
Content Creation – With my plan to put my student loan site on autopilot I needed to stock up on content and get it scheduled out for a few months. I worked double time getting content created and got 100 good articles all ready to go on the site now to carry me until the end of the year on the site.
Executing My Business Strategy – I have now launched my second website on my journey of building larger niche “authority” sites that earn over $1k/month. My overall plan is to build 3 of these sites per year and focus on them exclusively for a few months to build them up into $1k/month earners. By doing this I plan on building my passive income to a reliable $15k/month by my 35th birthday (6 years to go). My overall online income is around $4k/month now.
Email Opt Ins – For those of you that have followed this case study since the beginning you know I have struggled to get email opt ins. Well with a change in strategy and using this incredibly high converting landing page (around 50%) I have gotten more sign ups in one day than I had in 6 months! LeadPages paid for itself in 1 month!
Amazing Video Creation – I hired someone on ODesk to create informational videos like the one below using PowToon. I really like the quality and they are fun to watch so I hope to see some success with them. I am still working out the bugs in my process(not uploaded to YouTube correctly – just uploaded today). But I look forward to sharing more details about the success these videos bring. By outsourcing to ODesk the video below cost me a total of $6 to get produced!
Starting Too Many New Processes – There is a rule of thumb to only start one new habit per month or at a time. This goes for changes to businesses as well. This month I have made a lot of changes, most was managed well but some was not. Example – the process to upload the video above was not handled well and I will be giving up traffic as a result. So next month I will work to refine the new processes I started before any more change.
Authority Website Stats for May
Income = $2,341.41
– CPA #1 (loan consolidation) – $552.00
– CPA #2 (load consolidation) – $1,759.81
– CPA #3 (credit check) = $22.40
– CPA #4 (debt monitoring) = $7.20
CPA Offer #1 = $552
Although this affiliate is not main focus the conversions are great and I really like the ability to quickly judge the quality of traffic through the daily conversion reports here.
CPA Offer #2 = $1,759.81
The number of leads continues to grow and since the average time for a lead to payout is 4 weeks it most likely means my income in May was due to the leads generated in April.
- February = 54 Leads
- March = 98 Leads
- April = 151 Leads
- May = 194 Leads
CPA Offer #3 = $22.4
This was the first confirmed sale via my new email marketing list. I am sure other sales converted from the email clicks I generated but I can not track through to the sale.
CPA Offer #4 = $7.20
From a post I wrote about this debt repayment service I generated a little income.
Costs = 706.11 (several one time costs)
Creating 100 articles costs a lot! The 100 articles cost me an average of $4/article + I had my usual costs for this site.
In May I followed the process I outlined to get “cheap” articles created and in the end I have 100 articles created.
The VA’s do a lot of things for me such as research post material, identify potential guest posting opportunities, publish content, modify graphics, upload and syndicate videos I make and other assignments as they come up.
All my team members are hired through ODesk
- VA #1 – Content Publisher = $45 @ (posting/scheduling of created articles per my content calendar) – More than normal this month!
- VA # 2 – Backlink/General = $25 (web 2.0 creation, Link Authority, blog carnival submission, Friday post creation)
- VA #3 – Website Manager = $0 (he takes care of security/speed on all my sites – no work this month)
- VA #4 – Social Media Manager = $0 (not going to use on this project)
- VA #5 – Outreach – $0 (moved onto another assignement)
- Content Creation (100 articles this month!) = $412.00
- Hosting = $7.16 @ HostGator
- LeadPages = $197 one time fee (well worth it!)
- AWeber = $19.95 (for the size of list my student loan site has)
Next month I expect the costs to be minimal ~$50 or less while we all move onto our new Insurance Website project.
Running Net Income/Loss
Its still playoff time and so here is a little hockey stick graph for you…
Traffic =12,745 Unique Visitors
A very good month that almost doubled my traffic from last month!
Traffic From Day 1 to Now (9 months later)
Email Opt Ins – FINALLY A SUCCESS
At the end of Month 8 I had a total # of sign ups of 17!!
However after implementing a new strategy I now have a list of 190!! Split between people looking for private student loans and student loan consolidations.
Here is how I did it….
What I love about this strategy is that people self segment between people looking for a loan consolidation and a private student loan so that I can then target their needs in my email follow ups.
Conversion Rate of 44.3%!!!
You can use the same landing page or one of many others at LeadPages
- Traffic To Landing Page = 201
- Opt Ins to Landing Page = 89
- Landing Page Conversion = 44.3%
Google Analytics for Landing Page
From my preferred email service AWeber
Most importantly I have already realized at a minimum one sale.
Content, Promotion and Backlinks
In this section I will show exactly what I have done over the last month to continue to grow my site…
On Page Content = 17 Posts
A lot more great posts were published following my editorial calendar.
Outreach – Blog Commenting & Social Media (10hrs by VA @ start of month)
Blog commenting via a VA and then reaching out for guest posts is a strategy I want to keep using and improving on.
Guest Posts = 11 Posts on Quality Sites
The most guest posts I have had published happened this month. I have a few scheduled for next month but I am not going to focus as much on this now while I build up another site.
All of these guest posts were achieved using the method I talk about here.
I use majestic SEO (free) to track my link profile and help estimate how my link building efforts are being viewed by Google.
- Referring Domains = 333 (+190)
- Backlinks = 44,881 (+37,847)
- Citation Flow 41 (+5)
- Trust Flow 21 (+1)
Wow – I did not intent to build all these links if they are a result of my efforts. I am happy the trust flow is reasonable and based on a quick look at my stats I don’t see anything that has me worried.
Image From – MajesticSEO.com
Last Month’s Goals
- Pursue Guest Posting – (guest post on 10 high quality sites) – SUCCESS
- Blog Commenting – Restart blog commenting via VA – SUCCESS
- Continue Content Creation at 16 posts/month – SUCCESS
- Monetize –Earn over $1,000 per month – SUCESS
Next Month’s Goals
- Automate Guest Posting – 1 VA working on her own to publish 4
- Blog Commenting – 1 VA working on her own to publish 30
- No Content Creation
- Costs Reduced to $50
- Monetize –Earn over $2,000 per month
2013 Website Goal Progress:
My website case study PayMyStudentLoans.com will earn more per month than Pat Flynn’s case study site SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com for at least 3 months of the year
- So far in 2013 I am 0 for 5 (but getting close!)
- January (-$2,796.18)
- $452.13 for PayMyStudentLoans.com
- $3248.31 for SecurityGuardHQ.com – Report
- February (-$1,675.35)
- $1126.55 for PayMyStudentLoans.com
- $2,801.90 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- March (-$2,076.94)
- 759.63 for PayMyStudentLoans.com
- $2,836.57 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- April (-$1,581.86)
- $1,127.1 for PayMyStudentLoans.com
- $2,708.96 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report
- May (-$78.25) ONLY $78!!!
- $2,341.41 for PayMyStudentLoans.com
- $2,419.66 for SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com – Report